Monday, April 11, 2016

Reboot

Greetings!

This blog went dormant because I began having severe medical issues directly after the first post. Though I had no idea at the time, I was being poisoned by a heavy-duty chemo drug I was taking for a condition I don’t even have. (No, I don’t have cancer, thank you for your concern.) My reaction to the drug gradually worsened, and finally caused me to be hospitalized three times in 2014. I almost died all three times. (Key word: almost.) The lasting effects are neurological in nature. I have neuropathy, aphasia, tremors, fainting spells, and have been told by someone I trust that I have fallen asleep on her in the middle of a conversation – a face to face, in the same room conversation.

Another effect of the brain damage caused by this drug is I am showing symptoms of ADD/ADHD, which I never had before. I used to be a very organized person, never double booked, and very rarely, if ever, missed an appointment. Now, I am easily distracted, can’t remember much of anything unless it is written down where I can see it frequently, and all the organization strategies and calendar tools I have used in my life are no longer effective. AAACKK!

I let that shake me for about a year. Recently, I decided to try out new strategies and tools until I find something that works for me. I had been considering a reboot of the blog for a few weeks, without having a clue what the content would be.  I will work my way through new tools and strategies and blog about them. I will use each calendar tool for two months because that is the suggested time to try a system in order to learn how it works and use it often enough to determine if you can use it effectively.

The first calendar tool I am using is The Bullet Journal. I chose it because people I know use it effectively and it has been popping up all around me in the last month or so. I have never used a tool like it before. That may well be a plus since the old way of thinking is no longer the way my brain works. Since I don’t know if it will be effective, I appreciate that you can use any notebook you happen to have and need not buy a new or special notebook. Since I am a writer, and a collector of notebooks, paper, pens and such, I had a nice notebook on hand. If you didn’t and wanted to try this, I suspect you could buy one from a dollar store.

I put mine together over two days. I only set up six months on the Future Log because I don’t want to spend time on building out a system which I might not find effective.

The first minor annoyance is the lack of a weekly spread. If it becomes a major annoyance before the week is out, I may well add a weekly spread from elsewhere. Another minor annoyance is that you brain dump items so they are often not in date or time order.

The brain dump can also be considered in the plus column. If this tool, or any part of this tool, proves effective I can keep going and not worry that the new material is not in the “correct” order. While two days is not much of a sample, I find that using some tool, whether or not it will prove to be the best tool for me, is giving me more confidence than I’ve had in months. I also have accomplished several tasks that I remembered because they were written down.

I have added the link for the original site for The Bullet Journal and a couple from people who have modified it to work for them.

Thanks for reading. If you have any tools or systems you think I might try, send me the name or a link and, as long as I don’t have to pay anything to acquire them, I will add them to my list.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bright Blessings!

You can find me on Facebook on my personal page: 
https://www.facebook.com/cedarwolfsinger?fref=ts


I am also on Twitter:
@michelle owings-chri



No comments:

Post a Comment